September 27, 2015

Fat Kid turned Fitness Buff- One Man’s Story on his Challenges and Success with Fitness!

portrait-robot-entrepreneur
Let’s face it: we all have to deal with how hard life is.
It keeps throwing problems at us like a pitcher throws baseballs. Sometimes it even throws curveballs, and those are the problems that are really tough. But we have to understand that life does this not to bring us down, but to teach us to be strong and to be relentless.
My name is Ritchie A. and i’m one of the writers here at The Success Hub. I will take you on my journey in life and how i’ve managed to develop a strong relationship with my body, mentality and fitness, all while being consistently top of my class at the university.
To start off, growing up i was fat. And I don’t mean fat like a pinch of cutesy adipose tissue here and there, I mean like REALLY FAT. I had man boobs, a double chin, fluffy cheeks, and a belly busting out of my shirt. I could not even take my shirt off in public. i was so shy, i had no confidence at all, and it got me scared of people. It got me so scared that i could not talk and interact with others; it hindered my progress with my self-esteem. Why was I so fat? You guessed it, i love to eat. (love, not loved, because I still love it) Most of the time you will see me eating, and this was mainly because i was spoiled by my parents with food at such an early age. On the later part of my life, I was forced to play sports by my dad but i hated every minute of playing because i always had S.O.B (shortness of breath) afterwards. I really can’t run and jump as high as others, and I would also double up the size of my shirts because I was more comfortable with extra large shirts and pants. It truly was the dark ages for me, and life never seems to make me forget it.
By the time I reached 4th year high school, I made a decision that would change not just my life, but the way I view it. I wanted to lose weight and to be fit, to be free from the bonds of excessive eating. However, as you might have guessed, I failed. My failure came from a lack of knowledge about weight loss, a lack of motivation, and mostly an unquenchable affinity for binge eating. It happened to extend to the point that I entered college and i was still fat. I could not make friends with all the attractive and gorgeous girls in school (and mind you there are a LOT), I also could not get much attention from people as i walk past them. To cut the story short i was unnoticeable, and I felt invisible! I was doing good in school for a while, until i failed 7 subjects by the time i reached 3rd year in college. I felt like a failure! So i dropped out, out of school for 6 months. I was really depressed, i felt like i failed my parents and of course myself. I really didn’t know what to do with my life by that time, in short: I was lost. I was lost in a haze of testosterone, puberty, and the need to achieve something great for myself.
Months had passed and i still didn’t know what to do until one fateful morning my dad told me to try to go the gym. I felt anxious since i really didn’t know what I would be doing there since it will have been my first time hitting the weights. Still, I gathered up the courage because I had an inkling that this would be the solution I was so desperately looking for. So i drove up to the gym, signed up for a monthly membership, and started working out. I still had no idea what I was doing, but I felt something grow in me and it wasn’t muscle, it was the motivation that I always needed. I would use all the equipment I could see and tried them all repeatedly. As I finished my session and drove home, I started to watch youtube videos on how to workout and build muscle, and overall to achieve the proper fitness mentality. I did my research, I invested so much time in finding out the best plan for my body. Since then I’ve learned a lot of things, especially techniques in losing weight and shredding fat off my body the healthy way. 3 months down and I noticed some changes with my body, and when I stepped up on the scale, my eyes lit up as I saw my weight plunge from 183 lbs to 160 lbs. I couldn’t explain the feeling that i felt that day, it’s like I had won the lottery! People started to compliment me and told me i had done a great job, people started asking me how I did it, what my diet was, my workout plan, and my motivation to succeed. Since then I fell in love with fitness. It’s part of my life now, i’m obsessed with it, and i will not stop until i die.
You see, my story might be the generic fat kid-turned fitness buff, but what I wanted to partake onto the readers is that with everything that life throws at you, you can always find a way. So long as you still have breath, there is never a too late. In life, in order to suceed, you have to create your “why”. Every time you feel like giving up, think about your “why”. My “why” wakes me up in the morning and fuel my workouts everyday. My “why” is the reason I don’t skip a gym day, my “why” is the reason I don’t skip a leg day. So don’t tell me you can’t do it because of this, because of that, because of him or because of them. Excuses don’t make results. You can’t go to the mall and buy a perfect body, you’ve got to earn that literally with blood, sweat and tears. Fitness taught me not only to value my physical body, but it has enabled me to focus on my tasks much harder and has taught me to never give up when I know I have the capacity to do it. Nobody is gonna do it for you but you, because God placed us in this world to find our deep why.. You only have you and no one else, so don’t waste time and commit to fitness today!

1 comment: